Some believe that executive coaching has become a professional activity overnight; but in reality the process has been much slower. It appeared for the first time in 1985 and, although the executive tutors have proliferated especially in the early 90s, they really began to hire tutors in the late 90s.
- 1 What is executive coaching?
- 2 Benefits of executive coaching
- 3 Executive Coaching Classes
- 4 Advantages of practicing executive coaching
- 5 Actions in executive coaching
- 6 Steps carried out by executive coaching
What is executive coaching?
Coaching It is a technique that allows to carry out a process of individualized assistance to a professional, a team or an organization to release their talent and enhance, maximizing the effectiveness of their activities.
In the case of Executive coaching, this is a form of personalized learning that involves individually helping executives to learn and make the most of possible to take effective actions, improve performance and personal growth, in addition to obtaining better business results for the organization. It tries to highlight the strengths of the person.
According to Kilburg (1996) executive coaching is defined as:
“… A supportive relationship between a client invested with authority and corporate responsibility in an organization and a consultant who uses a wide variety of techniques and behavior methods to help him achieve a set of mutually identified objectives to improve his performance and, consequently, improve the effectiveness of your organization in a formally defined coaching agreement ”.
Thus, we try to highlight and strengthen the strengths of the person and teach them to overcome weaknesses.
Benefits of executive coaching
Some of the reasons why executive coaching is needed are the following:
- Training alone has proven inadequate to provide executives with the techniques they need.
- Many executives continue to use an authoritarian management style, which leads to a lack of loyalty and commitment of employees.
- 60 percent of executives hold managerial positions without having received any training in interaction with staff.
- Increased stress
- Increase in professional failure.
- Executives are subject to more frequent valuations of their personal techniques.
- In many organizations, the competitive attitude has been replaced by the need to function as a team member and leader.
Executive Coaching Classes
According to scholars, executive coaching can be:
Coaching for performance
Performance related, it consists of learning that improves the effectiveness of the executive in his work.
Some executives perform more in a particular area. It is possible that in the performance tutoring, the objectives are not as clear as in the coaching for the techniques (which we explain below) and that a considerable part of the time of the tutoring sessions has to be devoted to the clarification of the objectives of the executive.
Coaching for the techniques
In coaching for techniques, The mentoring process is specifically focused on the executive's current task. The coach helps the coachee learn specific techniques, attitudes and behaviors that will improve his performance at work.
Their characteristics are:
- It aims to push the executive towards greater efficiency.
- It consists of a series of interactions designed to meet the individual needs of the client.
- It focuses on techniques aimed at improving work performance.
- It is a process by which executives provide valuable information.
- Each person has their own knowledge base and rhythm and learning style.
- It is a service based on the relationships provided by the coach in his role as advisor.
- The tutor plays an important role for the executive exploring, developing and maximizing his potential.
- He admits that no two executives are the same.
- Sometimes it is not planned properly.
- Some organizations and tutors do not value the need to establish a coaching culture within the company.
- Some management consultants are adding coach to their business cards without having the basic techniques and knowledge.
- It is an activity without qualification or legislation.
- Coaching runs the risk of becoming a fad.
- Some organizations confuse coaching and mentoring.
- Many counseling therapists who engage in executive coaching lack the necessary business experience.
Coaching for development focuses on the future professional career of the executive, and implies the intention of future growth and the development of new skills.
It includes the exploration of strengths and weaknesses, especially when it comes to dealing with a change to the unknown.
Coaching for the executive agenda
Coaching for the executive's agenda means work with executives on any personal or professional issue.
On a personal level, it could translate into establishing a balance between working life and private life.
In the professional, it could include the leadership of an organizational change or the development of strategic planning and a long-term vision. Sometimes interference occurs between coaching for the agenda and other types of executive mentoring.
Coaching for the agenda takes place in the context of a long-term mentoring relationship. After the establishment of a formal coaching relationship, the student determines the course and direction to follow to access the next level of success.
It may interest you: What is and what is not coaching?
Advantages of practicing executive coaching
As we have explained above, executive coaching provides an undoubted service to the supervised.
The main advantages of this type of coaching are the following:
- Teach your recipient to face changes and new charges, and to plan to achieve goals.
- It teaches to know the organization and to know itself more.
- Teach to identify strengths and strengthen them, and weaknesses and overcome them.
- Teach the executive to be more flexible in his actions.
- Teach to channel stress efficiently.
- It teaches to face conflicts, both personal and with coworkers.
- Teach you to interact better with clients and coworkers.
- It teaches to be less competitive and more collaborative in the work environment.
- Teach to communicate better and know how to listen.
- Teach to improve leadership techniques and even learn them.
- It teaches to develop learning techniques, enhance business techniques and know the objectives to achieve greater satisfaction in the performance of functions.
- Teach to delegate, increase productivity and get the most out of the human factor.
The success of a coaching intervention is given by the achievement of the objectives established through the development and execution of an action plan, although it is also related to the same mentoring process.
Actions in executive coaching
Some of the tools that are normally used in executive coaching are the following:
- Fixing appropriate behaviors.
- Clarification of emotions.
- Promotion and development of learning styles.
- Provision of information.
- Active listening.
- Formulation of specific questions.
- Problem resolution.
- Goal setting
As for his performance, some of the most common and requested are the following:
- Priority Management
- Coaching for professional development.
- Presentation techniques
- Communication techniques.
- Management and conflict resolution.
- Leadership Development
- Stress management
- Coaching for a new position.
- Time management.
Steps taken by executive coaching
In executive coaching it is necessary to have a work planning, with a series of guidelines for the development of its management from the first meeting with the company's management:
- First step. Meeting with the Management.
- Second step. Individual meeting with the Coachee.
- Third step. First Coaching Session
- Fourth step. Second Coaching Session
- Fifth step. Weekly Coaching Sessions.
- Sixth step. Management Feedback.
As we see, executive coaching is an individualized and collaborative relationship, between an executive and a coach, with the aim of achieving a sustained change in their behavior and transforming their personal and professional quality of life.Related tests
- Personality test
- Self-esteem test
- Couple Compatibility Test
- Self-knowledge test
- Friendship test
- Am i in love